RSS

1968-tusabjpg

1968, The United States Army Band-"Pershings Own"- Ft. Myer, Virginia

1968, The United States Army Band-“Pershings Own”- Ft. Myer, Virginia

Front row left to right: Chris Welker (at set), Gar Whaley (at marimba) & Web Grant (at set)

Middle row left to right: Tom Kosic (at marimba) & Don Morehead (at glock)

Back row left to right: Glenn Luedtke (at vibes), Vince & Bill Platt (at SDs), Bill Hinger (at BD) & Dick Ecton (at timpani)

6 responses to “1968-tusabjpg

1. Julie Boehler

May 7, 2018 at 11:55 pm

Hi Robin, this is a great photo of the section from fifty years ago which includes Dick Ecton, our first official timpanist. He recently passed away and will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery at a date to be determined. Only a few of us in the current section met Dick when he attended a few alumni events. I will definitely share this photo with the current section. Sincerely, Julie Boehler, Principal Timpanist (2003-present)

• Julie Boehler

May 8, 2018 at 12:16 am

My apologies to the moderator: I remember NEXUS quite well from the 80’s/90’s and completely forgot that Robin had passed away. It is wonderful that he shared so many stories and photos for future generations to see. Please feel free to edit my post.

• robinengelman

May 8, 2018 at 10:58 am

Thank you for the kind words Julie.

• Liz Ecton Ortuzar

August 24, 2018 at 1:13 pm

Thank you most deeply, Julie. I am Dick’s daughter, and I am most grateful for your kindness. There will be a reception after the Arlington service, and I would love to frame this wonderful image for that; if you are able, could you send a copy to me? My email address is lizortuzar@gmail.com

Most gratefully,
      Liz Ecton Ortuzar

• Julie Angelis Boehler

July 24, 2019 at 11:05 pm

Hi Liz,

Did you ever get a copy of this photo? I don’t have the original, but the band might. If you contact usarmyband,com, someone in public affairs should be able to assist you. And @Robin, sorry for erroneously thinking you had already passed away! I saw NEXUS perform in Boston over 30 years ago, still have a hand-written letter that was sent to my former students in Houston over two decades ago….

• robinengelman

July 25, 2019 at 9:01 am

Robin did pass away in February 2016 and I’ve been keeping his website up there. Regards,Eleanor